How do you want to make a difference in the world? What sort of legacy are you hoping to leave? Baby Boomers – the 77 million Americans who were born between 1944 and 1964 – have been making a difference to society and the world since they were young, and they aren’t slowing down now. To them, retiring doesn’t mean sitting back and letting the world pass them by. Instead, they’re flocking to volunteer work in droves.
“Baby Boomers, compared to other generations, have high levels of education, wealth and skills that they’re eager to use and pass on to their communities,” says Doris Lea, Executive Director of Hidden Springs of McKinney, a luxury retirement community that is now open in McKinney, TX. “According to the U.S. Census, there are more than 13 million seniors volunteering their time and talents today, and that number is only expected to rise as younger Boomers reach their senior years.”
August is Boomers Making a Difference Month – a time when Boomers around the country give back to their communities and the people around them. For seniors in the McKinney, TX area, there are plenty of opportunities to make a difference, even during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
“The McKinney community is very volunteer-driven, and organizations like Volunteer McKinney provide so many options for us to give back to our friends and neighbors,” says Doris. “At Hidden Springs, we want to make sure our residents have the opportunities they want in order to use their skills and talents to make their retirement what they want.”
Volunteer McKinney – Supporting Our Community Since 1998
In 1998, a group of forward-thinking leaders saw that the community had a willing volunteer base without a central place to find opportunities, as well as an amazing group of service organizations that were in dire need of volunteers. In response, they established Volunteer McKinney. Since its founding, Volunteer McKinney has connected volunteers to local nonprofit organizations and put on community-wide events such as National “Make a Difference Day,” Collin County Giving Day Party in the Park, Santa on the Square™ and The Spirit of McKinney Volunteer Awards, and other events designed to bring nonprofits and the community together.
Here are just some of the other ways Boomer volunteers are making a difference in our community.
- Caring for Fuzzy Friends
If pets are your passion, here are just a few of the deserving organizations where Boomers can donate their time to helping animals in need:
- Crossed Paws Animal Haven rescues animals from local shelters to reduce the number of euthanized animals each year and removes them from dangerous situations and places them in foster homes until their forever homes are found.
- Canine Companions for Independence® enhances the lives of people with disabilities by providing highly trained assistance dogs and ongoing support to ensure quality partnerships.
- Furry Friends Animal Rescue is dedicated to rescuing unwanted cats and dogs in the North Texas area and finding them permanent and loving homes through foster and adoption programs.
- Making a Difference in the Life of a Child
Our children are our future, and Boomers who wish to pass along their knowledge, wisdom and assistance can find plenty of opportunities in McKinney. Organizations include:
- Clothe a Child, a local nonprofit dedicated to helping under-resourced children with basic needs, such as clothing, school supplies, haircuts and more.
- Heroes for Children advocates for and provides financial and social assistance to families with children battling cancer.
- Young At Art Children’s Creative Center is a community highlight that offers art classes, events, and scholarship programs to inspire, encourage and provide opportunities in art to children aged 4-17.
- Beautify Our Surroundings
Some of us find joy and beauty in the natural world around us. If that’s your passion, McKinney has many organizations dedicated to beautifying and preserving the wonder of nature for generations to come. Here are some organizations whose mission is to make sure McKinney stays green in more ways than one.
- McKinney Parks Foundation organizes teams of volunteers to work on park projects like hiking and bike trail maintenance, building nature trails, adding amenities and upkeep of parks and open spaces. They also provide educational opportunities for individuals interested in learning about nature and the ecology of North Texas.
- Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary brings nature and people together in order to educate, conserve and preserve the surrounding ecoregion.
- McKinney Community Garden Association has established a community garden for McKinney citizens in an effort to educate and inform residents about the benefits of growing, sharing and eating organic produce, as well as provide an environment that fosters community, creativity and self-reliance.
“As you can see, McKinney is a hub when it comes to volunteers and volunteer opportunities,” says Doris. “We look forward to many, many years of partnerships with McKinney organizations and providing our residents at Hidden Springs with so many ways to give back.”
For more information about finding fulfillment in your golden years, or to learn more about our new community in North Dallas, please contact us at 972.483.0234.
Luxury Living in North Dallas
At Hidden Springs of McKinney, we understand how important location is to North Dallas seniors who are looking for an engaging, enriching retirement lifestyle. Located in McKinney, Texas, we are close to medical centers, arts and entertainment, outdoor opportunities and everything else you love about this area. Seniors who choose to make us their home can enjoy a range of trips, opportunities and activities while living their very best life thanks to our innovative focus on wellness.
Active Retirement Living for a Healthy Tomorrow
The secret to a life well-lived awaits you at Hidden Springs of McKinney. Envisioned and developed by Madison Marquette, a company with a 25-year track record of investing in vibrant communities and a stellar reputation for developing luxury residences, you’ll discover all the possibilities your retirement brings … as well as the confidence of knowing your future is secure.
Our beautifully appointed, active retirement living community is created for those who expect more out of life. Luxury living, gracious services, resort-quality amenities, engaging programs and stunning apartments in 15 floor plans are just a few of the benefits awaiting you. And with Assisted Living and Memory Care services offered on campus, you can retire with complete peace of mind, knowing that if needs change, the care you deserve is right at home.
To learn more about Hidden Springs of McKinney and discover The Secret to a Life Well Lived, call or visit us today. We’d be happy to schedule a tour and show you just how much our location can make your retirement experience exceptional.
Call us today at 972.483.0234.